As I publish this, I'll be getting the boys ready for school.
We'll be having breakfast, doing our teeth, getting everyone dressed all smart for their first days in Primary 6 and 3 respectively.
And I cannot freakin' wait!
I know I know, I shouldn't be wishing away their childhoods, and I'm not, honestly... it's just these last 2 weeks that seem to have DRAGGED.
I suppose partly because the weather has been, quite frankly, shit. It's definitely been a Scottish Summer that's for sure.
I'm hoping next year it's, well, not.
I'd like to actually remember what it feels like to have the sun beating down on my skin, being able to actually blow up the paddling pool (for the kids... *cough*), not to mention most of the places we wanted to go? We haven't been able to because: Scottish Summer.
But anyway, I digress...
Why I'm looking forward to the kids going back to school:
- I fully adhere to the premise that absence makes the heart grow fonder. It is definitely true in our cases. I think we've all had our fill of being in each other's pockets this summer.
- Cabin fever is rearing it's ugly head.
- Do you know how much food two boys go through in a week??? They've been bankrupting me with food alone!
- Zack has had his 7.5 weeks and Max has had 8.5 weeks. This is too much time off for anyone - they are both starting to get bored!
- I am looking forward to getting back to the usual routine. I know the first couple of days will be brutal after my night-owl lifestyle has been able to take over a bit, but by next week we'll be back to our Usual Routine, and it's not just Max who needs it!
- No more "Mum, Mum, Mum, Mum, Mum" every 20 seconds from Zack. I swear to god I thought by age 10 he'd be starting to want to be left alone but nope... he wants to ask me ALL THE THINGS and show me ALL THE THINGS and generally annoy me with ALL THE THINGS. I have lost my temper a few times. I am not ashamed to say it! Anyone would go demented with the constant talking! (no idea where he gets it *cough*)
- Earlier bedtimes for the boys. Hopefully. The up side to letting them stay up till around 10pm each night is both of them have slept soundly till around 7/8am on average. Max has only woken in the night a few times over the whole holiday instead of 2-3 times a week! So I may keep them up a little later if it means sleep-filled nights.
- CHILD FREE TIME. I said it. Let me say it again: CHILD. FREE. TIME. *does a happy dance*
- Being able to leave the house WHENEVER I WANT (within the alloted 9am-3.15pm timeframe). Shopping without Tiny People* asking for ALL THE THINGS.
- The silence. Ohhh the quiet silence of a house with no children in it is a thing of absolute BEAUTY I tell you. Blissful, wonderful beauty.
It has been a relaxed, mellowed holiday all in all, and I will miss the long lies and the late nights, but damn I am ready to get us all back to normal now!
I hope your summer holidays were awesome, and if they weren't? It's NEARLY OVER so just keep holding on!